Griffon Vulture Feeding
This vulture feeding and observation trip offers you the chance to see these majestic birds from up close and contribute to their conservation all in one go. Experience a weekend surrounded by beautiful nature and in close proximity to the fascinating wildlife of the Eastern Rhodopes. Food for the vultures and the services of an ornithologist are provided.
• See the majestic vulture in its natural habitat
• Observe these impressive birds as they descend upon their meal
• Contribute to their conservation
• Binoculars provided
• Accommodation on full board in a mountain lodge on the banks of the Studen Kladenets dam with a beautiful view of the surrounding scenery
• Optional fallow deer watching, kayaking, speedboat ride, and trekking
The group meets up at 9 AM in the village of Potochnitsa near the wall of Studen Kladenec dam. Your guide will meet you there and brief you on how to conduct yourselves during the bird-watching so as not to disturb or frighten the vultures. From there you’ll head for the bird-watching area, located 20 minutes away from the nearby Potocharka village. Once you reach the spot, the bird-watching can commence. The needed equipment will be provided.
Watching the vultures have their meal is a stunning spectacle. Sometimes, as many as 100 birds swoop down on the food. You’ll be able to observe them for 2 hours from a distance of 400 metres and get acquainted with their feeding habits and the behaviour that’s earned them the monicker “Nature’s janitors” – their penchant for “licking their plates clean”. It’s not unusual for them to leave a bit of food for later, but they always leave it in their makeshift “restaurant”.
Aside from the colony of Griffon Vultures, you might also spot other species of birds, such as Black and Egyptian Vultures. You might also see fallow deer and wisents near the mountain lodge, which is located on the very banks of the Studen Kladenets dam.
There are several additions available to those who wish to enhance their experience and get better acquainted with the wildlife in the area – fallow deer watching, kayaking, speedboat ride, and trekking under the supervision of an eco-guide.
Inclusions / exclusions
The price includes
• Transfer from Plovdiv
• Transfers in the area by jeep 4x4
• 1 overnight in a mountain lodge on full board
• Food for the vultures
• The services of an experienced ornithologist
• Bird-watching equipment – scopes and binoculars
The price does not include
• Flights to/from Bulgaria
• Any of the additional packages (available on request – contact us for additional information)
Suitable for individual tourists and small groups up to 10 persons.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Safari in the Wild and Beautiful Rhodopes
Visit Bulgaria and book guided wildlife safari in the Rhodope mountains. Observe the local wildlife in its natural habitat, including the brown bear.
Go on a herping adventure with a herpetologist to show you the different kinds of serpents and the beauty of the Bulgarian nature, a unique outdoor activity.